Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Have your dreams come true?

When you were child, what did you want to be? Did any of those dreams come true? If they came true, did they come true exactly the way you had imagined or did they take on a different life?

I had so many different dreams as a child. Only one stayed consistent - being a mom. I always knew I was going to be a mother. I was going to have two kids, a girl and a boy. That dream always persisted. What else I was going to do with my life chaged frequently, though.

I was going to be an actress. I was going to be a singer. I was going to front a band as singer & lead guitar. I was going to be head chef at a famous restaurant. I was going to run a catering company. I was going to be a world renown Poet. I was going to be an artist. I was going to be host of a fun, educational, kids' Science show. I was going to be a Paleontologist. I was going to be an Archaeologist. I was going to be a doctor. I was going to be a teacher. I was going to be an Accountant. I know there were others, but it's hard to remember them all now.

The funny thing is, many of my dreams were fame-seeking. Yet, I hate to be the one in front of the camera. I hate to be in the limelight. I always have. I wanted to be famous, but have always been completely camera shy.

As I'm sure you can guess, I'm not a famous or world renown anything. My dreams haven't come true in the ways I had planned. However, many of them have come true, in a way.

I'm not in a band, as lead guitar (good thing since I can't play) or as a singer. However, there have always been people who love to hear me sing & think I have a beautiful voice. They are all the audience I need.
I'm not head chef of any restaurant, but have often had people (family, friends, neighbors) standing outside my door waiting for me to make them food. My food may never be reviewed by a critic, but my family & friends love my cooking & I appear to specialize in making foods people normally wouldn't eat, in a way that makes them really enjoy it.
I don't have my own catering company, but am regularly requested to cook for others or to bring food to gatherings.
I'm not a world renown Poet, but I am a published Poet.
I am an artist, but only as a hobby.
I'm not a doctor, but I do take care of many of my family's medical care needs with alternative methods.

Of course, some didn't happen in any way. I'm not an Archaeologist, Paleontologist, Accountant, actress, or host of any kind of TV show.

Some of my dreams came true completely. I am a mother. I do have two kids, a boy & a girl. One of my dreams came true in a way I would never have expected. I wanted to be a teacher, and I became a homeschooler.

So many of the things I dreamed of, are still a large part of my life, just in a less grandiose way. That's a reminder to me of how important our dreams are. They may not come true exactly. They may not come true at all. However, if they're still there in your life (in some form) 20 years later, they're there for a reason.

So many people can't handle having their dreams not come true. There are also some that see dreams as ridiculous and pointless. I think they are an important part of making us who we are meant to be, even if they are never fully realized (or never realized at all).

I'm not giving up on any of my dreams. After all, who knows what the future may hold?