Thursday, March 31, 2011

2011 Goals update

I didn't do a February update for my progress on my goals for the year. So, this update is for both February & March.

Basically, I did not get as much done as I wanted to.

I've been having problems breathing & coughing a lot since the beginning of January. The current theory on this is that my original thoughts were right. I got the virus that caused Jay's croup. It caused infectious laryngitis in me. The virus is gone now, but the inflammation it caused hasn't gone away yet. So, I'm on another round prednisone and more inhalers. Hopefully, this gets rid of the coughing, breathing troubles, and gives me my voice back. However, difficulty breathing and constant coughing make exercise really hard to do. So, I'm still nowhere near my fitness goals (since I'm lucky if I can work out for 10 minutes without a coughing fit). I have shown some improvement in the last few days, though. Tuesday, I managed 10 minutes of Pilates and .5 mile on the Gazelle, and Wednesday I did a full 1.5 miles on the Gazelle. Considering how difficult exercise has been for me since getting pneumonia in Nov 2009, and even more difficult since getting sick in January, that's real progress for me. The stupid asthma doesn't agree with respiratory problems & it's been really difficult to control it for the past year & a half.

I also haven't had as much time to read as I would really like. I did finish The Second Foundation, the final book in Asimov's Foundation Triliogy. I also read Dubliners. Plus, I've been reading other books of short stories.

We did manage to fit in a family game night & a family movie in February, but not in March.

I finished cataloging & putting away the new additions to our DVD collection & book collection.

As for the educational goals, those get a bit strange. I will most likely not be doing any formal schooling for me this year. It just wasn't in the budget. However, I'm looking into some free classes that I might want to take. I might also just decide to spend the year focused on art and/or foreign language.
The break from formal schooling officially ends this week. So, I made it through the 6 months (there were many times I wasn't sure I'd make it). Jay has finished his school year & will start 2nd grade next week. However, Dea is not done yet. It appears that they will now be on different schedules. So, I guess the goal of finishing their current school year is half done. I have finished planning for their next school year.

So, not as much progress as I'd like, but at least I'm making progress.