Sunday, April 24, 2011

Delish Heart-Healthy Chicken Dish

I made this fantastic stove-top chicken dish for dinner tonight. My blood pressure is a little high, so I'm trying to make meals even healthier than we normally eat (we already eat a rather healthy diet). So, tonight, I was deciding what to do with the chicken I pulled out, and inspiration struck.

First, I sliced the breasts in half (I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts), pounded them a little, and cut them into slices.



Next, I sliced some potatoes. I'm not a huge fan of russet. I used gold & red for this, but I'm sure you could use any you want.



Then, I put the chicken in a large pan to start cooking while I chopped some fresh garlic, dill, and chives. Once I had those chopped, I added them & the potatoes to the pan. Instead of using oil or butter, I added some fat free low sodium chicken broth (I would have used homemade stock, but didn't have any on hand).


I put the lid on the pan and started on the veggies. I halved a few handfuls of grape tomatoes & cut the corn off three half ears of corn from the other night.


As a last minute decision, I halved some baby carrots & added those.



When it was just about done, I added in the tomatoes & corn. Then, I sprinkled a little grated parmesan on top.



As a final touch, I added some fresh ground black pepper. I don't generally add salt when I cook, but you could add some to this dish. I prefer sea salt because it has a better flavor & since it is stronger, you use less. I've never been big on salt, but if I use salt on food, it is always sea salt. However, none was added to this meal.

So, here is the final product.


It was delicious! It was easy & quick to cook. Plus, it was a one pot (well pan) dish. The best thing, though, is that it is a really healthy dish.