Sunday, September 25, 2011

I AM NOT ADHD, I HAVE ADHD

Ok, this is a huge pet peeve of mine. I hate when people say that their kid IS ADHD. NO!!!! Your child HAS ADHD.

Why is this so freaking hard for people to understand? ADHD stands for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. When you say you child IS ADHD you are saying your child IS A DISORDER! Why would you do that?! What is so damn hard about using the word has.

Every time I'm reading something and someone says their kid is ADHD or refers to their child as 'my ADHD child,' I have to restrain the urge to scream at whatever I'm reading. I seriously want to reach through the computer screen, grab the person by the neck, and smash their face into their computer screen.

Would you say "My child is Cancer," or "My child is Autism," or "My child is Dyslexia," or "My child is pneumonia?" No, you wouldn't. So, why the fuck you say that your child is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder?