Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween

We tend to eat a bit less healthy at Halloween. I'm big on balance and allowing anything we enjoy eating, as long as it's in moderation. Since we eat pretty healthy most days, I don't worry much if holidays have some less healthy foods. Here are the Halloween themed foods we've had this year:

Bloody popcorn:
None of us react to red food dye, so I mixed some into the butter before pouring it on the popcorn. Then, I put some food dye on a paper towel & wrapped it around my finger. When I carried the kids their bowls of popcorn, with the paper towel wrapped around my finger, I said "I guess some of the the blood from cutting my finger ended up in the popcorn. You guys don't mind, do you?" They responded with "Of course not! After all, we are vampires." Not quite the reaction I was looking for. It was a fun treat while we watched a movie, though.



Broiled mummy fingers:
Mini sausages, chopped bacon, cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, and a sprinkle of brown sugar.




Minotaur brains:
Steamed cauliflower with cheese sauce (with a little red dye in the sauce)


Fried maggots with dragon eyes:
Fried rice, sliced jumbo black olives, and halved fresh mozzarella balls (cherry-sized)



Blood Punch:
A 2-Liter or 7Up mixed with a bottle of Pomegranate Juice

We also had zombie flesh tacos, but I didn't get pictures of those. The tacos were made with thin sliced meat instead of ground meat.

Here's our pumpkin, we still need to roast the seeds:


We don't Trick-or-Treat, but we do dress up. We did spooky Mad Libs and played Harry Potter Scene It. The kids jumped out from behind a tree to scare passing cars. The kids will be going to bed soon, and tomorrow all the Halloween specific decorations come down.


Happy HALLOWEEN/SAMHAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!