Friday, February 17, 2012

Well, that's proof that she CAN do it!

Yesterday, Dea spent a good part of the day doing volunteer work. She was helping get stuff ready for a rummage sale at the Dyslexia center. Here's what I heard about her volunteer time yesterday:

She was wonderful and well-behaved. There were no attitude problems, whining, or complaining. She worked hard and got a lot done. She worked with almost no supervision or direction.

She did not need anyone to stand there reminding her to get back to work. She did not need constant direction. She did not need someone checking her work every 10 minutes. She was self-motivated and a self-starter.

This is exactly what I'm trying to get her to do in her schoolwork & chores!

Well, now I have proof that she can do it. I just need to figure out how to get her to do it with her school & chores. I talked to her today about it. I told her how proud & happy I am about her work yesterday. I then went on to explain that I would love to see more of that attitude, behavior, and work ethic around here. I told her that's exactly what we're aiming for with this year of her taking the reins.