Friday, July 6, 2012

Medical Fun

So, two weeks ago, I went to my new gynecologist and they told me that my blood pressure was high. I had to go back two days later. At that visit, my blood pressure was again high (160 over something). I got my Depo shot & went home. In the middle of the night, I suddenly got light-headed and my vision went blurry. Of course, this is to be expected when your blood pressure is 192 over 124 (I shit you not, that is what it was when they took it at the ER). So, I woke up my husband & told him I should probably go to the ER, if he was willing to call into work & take me. He called into work, woke the kids, and took me to the hospital. I like to think my blood pressure is high simply because my heart is really strong & forceful when telling the blood where to go, but apparently the doctors disagree with this. I was diagnosed with Hypertension (surprise! I'll bet you didn't see that coming!) & put on medication for it. Then, I had to get a primary care physician, since I haven't had one for around a decade (I really try to avoid  doctors, as they always seem to find something wrong with me).This likely is the reason my Hypertension has gone unnoticed for no less than 3 years (as proved by ER records). So, I found a Dr and had my first appointment today.

My blood pressure was 160 over something, again. So, I was put on a second medication, because I am simply too awesome for a single medication to handle. We also discussed the fact that my husband is going to have a vasectomy, so that I can get off the Depo shots. They are the only birth control that has ever consistently prevented pregnancy (a fairly important thing in a birth control), but have caused some crappy side effects. One of the worst side effects is the weight. I have always struggled with my weight, but it has never been this bad. I eat healthy and try to exercise daily, yet I cannot lose weight (in fact have continued to gain it). After hearing about how I eat, the doctor said the only thing that I need to change is that I need to eat earlier in the day (I rarely eat breakfast, generally not eating until lunch or even dinner). She seems confident that if I get off the Depo shots & eat earlier in the day I will be able to lose the weight that I have struggled with so much over the last 8 1/2 years and get off the Hypertension meds.

I have to say that I like this doctor. She didn't doubt me when I told her that I eat healthy & already eat a low sodium diet. She didn't assume that my weight was entirely my fault, as others have done. She didn't treat me like a hypochondriac, as many have done. She treated me with respect, which is not something all doctors have done.

So, now I get to add Hypertension to the ever lengthening list of medical issues I get to deal with. Yipee! The more of these conditions that I get that are either rare or unusual in one at the age I developed it, the more I believe I should donate my body to Science. I truly believe I should be studied.

For the last few weeks, we've been taking it easy with Jay's schooling. My husband wanted me to stay as calm as possible. So, Jay has been doing some independent work, but no work with me. We will start back to normal schedule next week, unless my husband is adamant about waiting until my blood pressure is fully under control to start back to normal.