Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

The plan for Thanksgiving this year is simplicity. We will be having a simple menu and simple entertainment. My husband doesn't seem to think my menu is that simple, though.

Food:
Grilled/Smoked turkey - we will get a few drumsticks & a turkey breast and hubby will either grill or smoke them
Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon or pancetta
Baked brie with artisan bread
Loaded mashed potatoes
Mushroom gravy
Corn on the cob
Cherry or apple pie
Spiced pumpkin angel food cake with citrus glaze

This is the original menu, decided on before I decided to scale back my holiday meals this year for financial reasons. So, I'm not sure what of this will get cut.


Activities:
Thanksgiving Scrabble
Thanksgiving Bingo
Thanksgiving word puzzles (word searches & cryptograms) - found some online to print


Each November, we put up something dealing with what we're thankful for. This has included posters & an oil pastel cornucopia. We would then write what we were thankful for on the poster or on pieces of paper we then stuck to the cornucopia. The problem with that is that they always end up on the wall my calendar hangs on, meaning the calendar is taken down for the month. So, I've decided to go a slightly different way this year. I made us a Thankful Can. I took an empty oatmeal container, peeled off the label, and painted it. I cut a hole in the lid. Then, I cut several sheets of computer paper into pieces. I placed the pile of paper & the Thankful Can on the entertainment center. This way, everyone can get to it & add to it whenever they want. Plus, it's reusable, which is always a bonus. On Thanksgiving or at the end of the month, we'll go through & read all things for which we are thankful.