Sunday, July 28, 2013

Week 11 Grade 4

Monday is a not great day. I am exhausted, as happens when you don't fall asleep until after 5am & your child wakes you up 7 times by 9am. I put out a To Do List for him before I went to bed, but he decided to blow it off for a while, doing nothing on it beyond brushing his teeth & hair. Around 10am, I make him deal with his laundry before reading his newest required reading book. Today, he starts reading The Mysterious Edge of the Heroic World. He is enjoying it so far. After lunch, he does Logic, Math (he is now doing LOF Pre-Algebra 1 with Biology), and then decides to watch a tv show, even though he was told he also had to do his pronoun worksheet before taking a break. After his show, he does his pronoun worksheet, reads a book for Science, watches an episode of Walking with Dinosaurs (also for Science), and vocab games on the computer. After another short break (he ate dinner while watching Walking with Dinosaurs), we do Latin (chap 28), ASL, and Mad Libs.

On Tuesday, I am still struggling to get him to use his To Do List. Today, I separated it into 'Before Breakfast,' 'After Breakfast,' and 'After Lunch.' My hope was that this would help him see what needed to be done & when. However, he is still trying to take breaks whenever he feels like it, regardless of what the list says needs to be done. In the 'After Breakfast' section, I included some schoolwork that he can do independently, so he could get started on school before I was fully functional. He tells me, "I'll do three things, then take a break." I tell him that he will do all the stuff in the 'After Breakfast' section, except reading & can then take a break until 10:30, his regular reading time. So, he does Math (chap 6), ASL (the puzzle book), & Art (Color Your Own Van Gogh) & asks to watch tv. I ask if he did everything in the 'After Breakfast' section, & he replies, "I did three things." I remind him that I said he needs to do all of it. I check the list & tell him he needs to do his pronoun worksheet, because that is also in the 'After Breakfast' section. He gets that done & then goes in the other room to play. By this point, he has asked to watch tv at least 4 times. If he asks again, there will be no tv for today. After he finishes reading, it is time for lunch. He asks to watch the next episode of Walking with Dinosaurs while he eats. I say yes because we were planning to watch it today anyway, so we might as well watch it while we eat. After he  eats & cleans up his mess, I let him go on the computer for fun, educational games until we get back to work on school. After a break, he does vocab games on the computer. He has a quick snack & heads into my room to read Bones Rock! We do Spelling (AAS5 step 4), Mad Libs, and discuss the use of Venn diagrams in the planning stages of writing.

Wednesday, we take a lazy day. We skip school. We watch The Day After Tomorrow. Jay plays & I finish up a few things I've been working on.

Thursday we get schoolwork done, all the work from Wednesday except Spelling. I sprain my wrist/hand when trying to fix the cat tree. Typing hurts.

Most of Friday is spent running errands. We spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to choose shampoo & body wash for my husband & body wash for Jay. Most men's body wash & shampoo scents are awful. They stink! Most of them are really strong, too. We stopped by the school supply aisles, since I can't resist school supplies. I really needed a new pencil sharpener, though, which was my main reason for stopping by that section. The kids & cats kept knocking my pencil sharpener off the end table, and it finally died. I was using it & it started making strange grinding noises & smelled like burning. We then spent almost an hour looking at cat food options because one of our cats seems to have become intolerant of the food they have been eating. The company apparently made some changes to their formula & he has been throwing up since then. While doing the grocery shopping, I decide we should get a watermelon, because they are on sale for $0.39 a pound. A 17.5 pound watermelon is really hard to pick up with a sprained wrist.