Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Book Clubs

Jay brought up wanting to be in a book club. He wants it to be just him, Dea, and me. That might sound strange & anti-social. It really makes perfect sense, though. Jay doesn't typically read a lot of the books other kids his age are reading. On his 'want to read' list are books like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, 'Salem's Lot, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Jurassic Park, and The Exorcist. (Obviously, not all of the books on his 'want to read' list are appropriate for him, and he will have to wait some years for several of them.)  These are not the books most other 9 year olds are wanting to read. If we were to try to find a book club that was reading more of the books he is interested in, we'd be looking at teen or adult book clubs. That would not be ideal, either. However, if it is just the three of us, we can screen the books selections for appropriateness for him, he'll get to read books more like what he is interested in reading, and there will be no awkwardness in the discussions. So, our tiny little book club starts in September.

This will mean a lot of my reading each month is already planned out. I am part of an online book club, just joined a second, and have been contemplating a third. I have promised Dea that I will read most, if not all of her required books for English, which made Jay jealous. So, now I also will be reading some of his required reading for Language Arts. Then, there is the reading I have to do for the classes I'm taking. Plus, now this new tiny book club with the kids. 

So, each month I will be reading books for 3-4 book clubs (2 of which list 2 books per month), 2 books for Jay's required reading, 1 book for Dea's required reading, an unknown number for classes, and whatever I decide to read for fun. That only comes to 9 books per month, not counting the books for classes & what I read for fun. That shouldn't be too hard.