Sunday, September 15, 2013

Movies from Childhood

Early this morning, I was watching Pump up the Volume with my daughter. Just a few days ago, she watched Heathers for the first time. This got me thinking of all the movies I loved as a kid or a teen that I have introduced to one or both of the kids. I decided to compile a list of my favorites.
Here, in no particular order, is a list of 25 of my favorite movies from childhood/adolescence that I have shared with one or both kids:

1. Pump up the Volume - I was 12 or 13 when I first saw this movie. Honestly, it kind of helped get me through middle school. So far, I've only let Dea watch it. Jay still has a few years before he'll be allowed to watch it.

2. The Breakfast Club - Again, only Dea has been allowed to watch this one.

3. The Monster Squad - I loved this movie as a kid & was so happy to find it on DVD a few years ago, so I could share it with the kids. It is now a regular during our month long celebration of Halloween.

4. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark - I have loved this movie since the first time I saw it. I dressed up as Elvira for my Halloween party in 6th grade. Again, so far only Dea has been allowed to watch it.

5. The Dark Crystal - Both kids have watched it, but only Dea likes it. For some reason, Jay just doesn't enjoy it. I adored it when I was a kid.

6. Gremlins - this was one of the first horror movies the kids ever watched. They love it as much as I do & we watch it every year.

7. How the Grinch Stole Christmas - One of our favorite Christmas movies. We watch it every December.

8. The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Another one that only Dea has been allowed to see. I have watched this movie at least once a year since I was 12 or 13.

9. The Last Unicorn - I grew up loving this movie & was so happy to introduce the kids to it. They both love it as well.

10. The Princess Bride - Despite Jay's insistence that he has never watched this one, both kids have seen & enjoyed it.

11. Back to the Future - Both have seen & enjoyed it. I don't remember if they've seen the sequels, though.

12. Jurassic Park - Both loved it, but Jay has been rather obsessed with it.

13. Pet Sematary - Again only Dea has been allowed to watch it so far.

14. The Lost Boys - I loved this movie & could hardly wait for the kids to be old enough to watch it.

15. Beetle Juice - Yes, it's cheesy, but I always loved it, and now so do my kids.

16. Friday the 13th - Only Dea has been allowed to see it

17. A Nightmare on Elm Street - Only Dea has seen

18. Halloween - Again, only Dea has seen (what can I say, I grew up on horror & slasher flicks)

19. Critters - Both kids love this one

20. Cujo - Both kids love this one

21. Edward Scissorhands -  Jay hasn't watched this one yet, but Dea loves it

22. Psycho - Both kids love this one

23. Pride & Prejudice - I love this version. Both kids have watched it, but Jay still has trouble watching it all the way through, because his attention doesn't last that long

24. Anne of Green Gables - Jay claims he hasn't seen, but both have

25. The Secret of NIMH - Jay  claims he doesn't like this one, but I'm not sure I buy that.