Thursday, September 5, 2013

You Can't Fight the Inner Geek

My husband & I have been arguing debating whether or not he qualifies as a geek. Apparently, he has never thought of himself as a geek. I, on the other hand, grew up knowing full well that I was a geek & a nerd (because when I was a kid, they weren't interchangeable like they are now), and have always seen my husband as a geek. This has been an ongoing debate between us for weeks now, me saying he is & him saying he isn't.

The other day, we were talking about reading, and he was comparing the size of the book he's currently reading to those I'm currently reading. He pointed out that the book he is reading is actually bigger than all of the books I had in my hand combined. Now, yes, since he is reading The Lord of the Rings, I will admit that that book is larger than the books I had in my hand at that moment. However, I was only holding 3 of the 9 books I'm currently reading. Anyway, his mentioning that he was reading LotR brought me back to our 'is he a geek' debate. I told him that the fact that he reads LotR annually is a qualifying marker of him being a geek. He tried to argue against that. It didn't work, because I followed that with these other little facts:

The reason we own a Klingon dictionary is because it was his before we got together.
He is a bigger Star Trek fan than I am.
Star Wars
He used to play D & D
He is the one that introduced me to Dr Who

His only argument was quoting Wil Wheaton, "It's not about what you love. It's about how you love it." He argued that he doesn't qualify as a geek because he has never immersed himself to the point of going to things like Comic Con or dressing up or creating crafty stuff based on the things he loves. Now, that would almost be a good argument, but he was arguing against me, so it didn't work. I responded by pointing out that he has never immersed himself to that level because he can't not because he doesn't want to. If he could afford to make (or have someone make for him) a costume & wear it to Comic Con, he totally would. If we could afford to own gaming systems & buy games for them, we would. He admitted that I was right. So, I have won the argument debate! My husband is a geek!