Sunday, December 29, 2013

2014 The Year of Organization

I am constantly trying to get my family organized. They are constantly fighting against it. 2014 is the year I will make it stick. I'm most concerned with the kids getting organized. They will be out on their own at some point & need to be able to organize themselves. Dea has learned organizational skills for years. I just need to get her to apply them. Jay hasn't learned many organizational skills, yet. So, I will have to start a bit easier/lighter with him.
I'm not certain exactly how I'm going to do it, yet. I'm working on a plan, though, and picking up what I need. I do know that some of the things we've already been using will continue to be used. I will just have to make sure that everyone is more consistent about using them.

I'm thinking of revamping our chore chart & the chore distribution. I'm testing out different ways, trying to find what works best. I think I've found the way we'll use. I have already purchased the calendars & day planners for next year, and filled in all the birthdays & holidays.

Dea is starting to use binders more, which is good. She is setting up her own binders, asking me for dividers & page protectors, and creating pages for binders that she has decided she needs. Now, I just need to get her to use her school binder to store her schoolwork in so it doesn't keep getting lost. Jay doesn't really use his school binder at all, which is something we need to work on. I'm also thinking of letting him have more control of his schedule for 5th grade. Hopefully, by the time 5th grade starts, he'll be using organizational tools more consistently.

I think the problem is that both kids want to be organized; they just don't want to have to work at it. Unfortunately, their ADHD means they will have to work at it, as organization is not something that comes naturally to those of us with ADHD. I'm thinking maybe explaining how much work I put into staying organized might help, as they seem to think it is effortless for me (and it is definitely not effortless). I hope that if they realize that I also have to work at it, they will be more willing to work at it themselves.

I will be posting the things we try(& how well they work), throughout the coming months.