Sunday, December 22, 2013

I'm Thankful For

Earlier this month, I was contacted by an amazing woman named Heather. Eight years ago, she was diagnosed with Mesothelioma, mere months after giving birth to a beautiful baby girl. Obviously, she beat it, which is apparently not easy to do. Mesothelioma is a rare cancer most often caused by exposure to asbestos. It has become more well-known in recent years (I remember seeing commercials about it on tv, a few years ago when we still watched regular tv), but most people still don't know much about it.
I visited Heather's site and read some about her experience. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for her to get such a difficult diagnosis, especially so soon after having a baby.  She was strong, brave, and full of hope. She had a lung removed and didn't let it stop her. She fought & beat this horrible diagnosis.
As often happens when a person comes so close to death, she is very thankful for the things & people in her life. She wants to spread her message of hope, her story of survival, and her spirit of thankfulness to as many people as she can reach. She asked that I share a bit of her story & share something for which I am thankful. I am more than happy to do this for her.

To read more of Heather's story and learn more about mesothelioma click here.


I am thankful for...........

Homeschooling. I'm not one of those homeschoolers that thinks everyone should homeschool. I am thankful, though, that it is an option. For my family, it is the right option. My kids are so curious, brilliant, and hungry for knowledge. I would hate to have to send them to a public school that would not encourage, but instead crush, those traits. I would hate to miss the excitement when they start learning something new, or the pride when they master something, the joy when they get something they've been struggling with.

The people in my life. I'm not always the easiest person to get along with or to love. I have anxiety issues. I don't like large groups. I'm awkward around strangers. I have trust issues. I have rather insane 'quirks' that sometimes impact more than just myself. I hate talking on the phone. I often repeat myself. I don't like driving, especially at night (my eyes are very photosensitive & headlights are near blinding). I honestly don't know how people put up with me. Some don't. Some choose not to stick around, and I fully understand that & don't blame them for leaving. Those that stay, though, they  mean so much to me. I have some definite hermit-like tendencies, bit it is nice to know that, when I want/need to be around others, there are some wonderful, loving people who are always there for me.