Tuesday, December 31, 2013

In Which the New Year Brings Change

With the new year come new changes. A few weeks ago, I posted that I was thinking of making some changes here on my blog. Well, if you look to the right, you'll see a few of those changes already. There is a page for me to keep track of the challenges I set for myself for 2014. There is also a page with links to my homeschool reviews here on my blog. I may have missed some. I need to really look through all my posts & see if there are others I missed. Any new reviews I post will be added to that page. So, you will be able to easily find any of my reviews.

The other big change on my blog is simply that I plan to try to post more often. I'm thinking of aiming for at least 3-4 days a week. I won't be resuming my Week in Review posts, but will instead try to post throughout the week about what we are doing for school. I'm hoping to write more reviews of the materials we use and maybe also have the kids write some reviews of them as well. I will post at the end of the month all the books we read that month, or maybe just our favorites. I will continue to post at the end of each Science & History topics Jay studies, with the materials & resources we used.

There will be other changes in my life as well. I mentioned I was working on organization here at home. One of the biggest changes with that is our chore chart & how the chores are divided. Almost all of the chores will now be two-person jobs. Each room counts as chore & will be assigned to 2 people, instead of assigning each job in a room to a different person.
For example: The kitchen was set up so that I was doing dishes 4 days a week, my daughter was doing dishes 3 days a week, and my husband was to do the counters, stove, microwave, and floor daily. That didn't work, so my husband & daughter switched jobs. That still didn't work.Their dishes wouldn't get done, and if dishes weren't done the counters, stove, microwave, and floor wouldn't get done, either. My dish days were spent trying to get caught up on the kitchen. Often, on days that weren't my dish days, I could be found in the kitchen, trying to get caught up. Of course, I was the one who would get upset, annoyed, and angered by the fact that my kitchen was a disaster. I was the only who cared that the work wasn't getting done. So, I have taken the kitchen as my daily chore. Each day, one of the kids or my husband will assist me in the kitchen. If I am in there daily, I know something will actually get done & done properly.

We are also going to have weekly game night. Well, actually it will be game day. It will be Saturday after lunch each week. Some weeks, it will just be the four of us. Some weeks we will invite others to join us. This is one of the challenges I set for myself for the year. If we don't set a specific day & time, it often doesn't happen. So, if one of us has something else to do & can't play that day, the game still goes on.  

These are some of the big changes coming in the new year.