Monday, March 3, 2014

Today's Playlist

We love listening to music while doing schoolwork. It helps the kids to focus on their work. Plus, I don't deal well with silence. When I put together lists like this, I always try to stick with songs I know all of us like. I thought I'd share what we're listening to today.

Type O Negative

I can't help it, I love Peter Steele's voice. I generally refrain from using metal songs on playlists for school time, but Type O has some rather calm songs, which aren't distracting.

David Garrett

If you haven't heard David Garrett yet, play that video. I'll wait. Seriously, listen to it. This man is phenomenal! David Garrett is a violin virtuoso, a complete musical genius. If you are a fan of rock music, listen to some of his renditions of modern rock songs (like AC/DC's Thunderstruck, G'N'R's November Rain, or Metallica's Master of Puppets). He also does traditional classical music. This man is amazing, and I adore listening to him play. Not only is he very talented, but he is so passionate about what he's playing, which makes it sound even better.

Celtic Thunder

Celtic Thunder is a Celtic singing group. They are a wonderfully talented group of singers. Their concerts are big & theatrical, a fantastic show, with a combination of solo & group songs. We first found Celtic Thunder when our local PBS station played one of their concerts. If you've never heard them, play that video or go check out their YouTube channel. I truly love listening to these guys. They have such great voices, harmonize wonderfully, and I really enjoy the song choices. Most, if not all, of the members (past & present) have solo albums, as well. So, give those a listen, too. These guys really are so very talented.

Keith Harkin

Keith Harkin is one of the members of Celtic Thunder. His debut album is a combination of originals & covers. He is a very talented singer/songwriter. I've always loved his solos with Celtic Thunder, so had to listen to this album as soon as I found out about it. His cover of "Here Comes the Sun" is fantastic (I am not a Beatles fan, & my liking any Beatles song, no matter who is performing it, is fairly rare), and his cover of Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" (which he did as a duet with Colbie Caillat) is simply beautiful. The song above, "Nothing But You & I," is one of his originals & one of my faves, along with "Don't Forget About Me," "Orange Moon," and "Rosa."

Ok, so that's who's on today's playlist for school time.