Sunday, July 26, 2015

He's Dead

My Gray Tree Frog, Edgar, is dead. I opened up his tank to feed him yesterday, and found that he was dead. We have had him for not quite a year. He was a rescue, and we really have no idea how old he was. I feel awful about it. I don't know if it was my fault or if it was just his time. I don't think it was my fault, though that didn't stop me from feeling terribly guilty about it all day yesterday. I fed him regularly, checked his water regularly, cleaned out his tank, made sure he had everything he needed, and took the best care of him that I possibly could. I love frogs, and jumped at the opportunity to rescue him. He had an injured back leg & did not move a lot or spend much time climbing when we first got him. However, his leg healed, and he became pretty active. I put fake plants in his tank for him to climb on & would often find him sitting in the leaves of the plants. He had rocks that he loved to sit on, moss for a soft ground, a bridge that led into the water, and of course, fresh water at all times. He loved sitting on the bridge. I would always out his crickets on the bridge for him, and he would wait until I put the tan lid back on before he jumped to the bridge to catch his food (he preferred to hunt when you weren't watching). When the crickets were all gone, he would jump up onto the bridge & sit there for a while, while he digested his food. At night, when I would go over to turn off his light, he would often be sitting on his bridge, just chilling. Then, after I turned off the light, he would hop into the water. He was a bit emaciated and definitely unhappy when he first came to us. While he was with us, he was a fat & happy frog. It sucks so much that he is gone, but at least I know that for most of the last year of his life, he was happy, well cared for, and loved.